Wednesday night will mark the first meet to be held in our new pool.
Meet Invitations and the RSVP Process
A message inviting you to the meet went out late last week and we need to know your child's availability. Some of you have already replied, but if you have not done so already PLEASE INDICATE YOUR SWIMMER'S AVAILABILITY BEFORE MONDAY EVENING ON THE GOOGLE SHEET THAT CAN BE ACCESSED BY COPYING THE FOLLOWING LINK TO YOUR BROWSER:
If we do not see your response on this document before Monday it will be assumed that you are not coming and your child will not be entered into the meet. The coaches must prepare the registration cards for the meet on Tuesday so this information is crucial for them to have these documents ready to give to the Recorder/Scorer at the meet.
You will receive an invitation like this every week before the next meet and you will need to reply each time. If you know in advance that you are away please advise the coach in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org with the date of the meet you will be missing as the subject. Any emails pertaining to the weekly Wednesday meets should have the meet date indicated as the subject.
This is a very important procedure because it affects the tasks of the coaches, and ultimately affects the work of the volunteers on the night of the meet. Thank you for your cooperation with this RSVP process.
Sign up of Volunteers and Officials for the Meet
Every week we will also put out a call for volunteers for the meet and it will be sent to you with a link to a google document like the one below. You may sign up for the general volunteer tasks for home meets for the whole summer if you prefer. You may need to take the extra step of connecting your email account to Google Plus. This is a free process. If you choose to create a gmail account for this process, please send us the address so that we can add it to your file. Copy the links below in your browser for volunteer/official sign ups:
Please note: when you work as an official (timers etc), you must remain in your post until the end of the meet.
On the day of the meet there are a few points to remember
· We swim rain or shine!!! If we don’t show up, we forfeit and lose valuable points. Meets may be postponed for thunder and lightning but we must show up in order to have that option.
· For home meets volunteers assisting with set-up must be on hand at 5:30pm (only adult volunteers will be permitted on-deck because it is adult swim time)
· For all meets, swimmers should be on deck, changed and ready for warm-up NO LATER THAN 6:15pm
· For away meets, allow for heavy traffic and try to leave Westmount by 5:30pm latest.
· If you need a lift: be at the WRC parking lot for 5:15pm to ensure you don’t miss a lift!
· If you have room in your car: pass by the WRC parking lot between 5:15pm and 5:30pm
· Wear your Dolphins gear!!! The order is not in yet but do not worry, we will have some “vintage” Dolphins tshirts to pass out to kids who don’t have anything yet…sizes may not be perfect but at least you will have something that says “Dolphins”!
· Bring: GOGGLES, CAPS, HOODIES, SWEATS, TOWELS, BAG TO CARRY IT ALL, POCKET MONEY FOR THE BAKESALE, YOUR SMILES, CHEERING VOICE AND A SPORTSMANLIKE ATTITUDE!
· Bring to home meets: baked goods, fruit kebabs, special treats, savoury snacks that you think will sell at our concession stand. This is a crucial fundraiser for our team which pays for the ribbons we distribute to every swimmer at every meet. Please try to provide nut-free products where possible, or label those items that may contain nuts.
· During the meet: Swimmers stay with your team: cheer and encourage each other!
· Swimmers under 10 years old should stay within ear-shot of their coaches and team mates so they don’t miss their races! This is a great opportunity for little ones to take those first steps at independence in a safe and happy environment!
· Swimmers 11 years old and over should be aware of the progress of the meet and be where you need to be at the right time!
· Look for the ribbons table: ribbons are usually not available before the start of breaststroke, but try to collect your ribbons if you can, before you leave, especially at away meets. If you were not able to receive your ribbons, don’t worry, Coach Hannah’s mom Leah Trineer, our ribbon lady, will have them for you later in the week, after the meet and will keep them safe until she can get them to you.
· Swimmers 8 years old and under: the relays for this age group are done early in the program so that if your child is only swimming a free style event (which is true for most of the littlest swimmers) then you may leave the meet when they are done.
· Swimmers 9 years old and older: your relays take place towards the end of the meet and we encourage you and your families to stay until the end if possible to cheer on all your team mates!
· AFTER THE MEET: the Dolphins meet at Dairy Queen (and Bilboquet for those with gourmet palates). We all congregate and eat our frozen treats together on the sidewalk. This is a Dolphins tradition that kids can’t wait to be old enough to stay up for!
We look forward to sharing the fun and excitement of the ALPS Dual Meet tradition with all of you this Wednesday, June 25th!
Go Dolphins Go!